Home Forums Get-to-Know Get to know Olaf Tans – Legal philosopher at AU

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My name is Olaf Tans, I am a legal philosopher, and I teach Law, Society, and Justice; Legal and Social Philosophy, and Academic Research Writing at Amsterdam University College. I am also a tutor and I serve on several committees, such as the BSA-committee.

I enjoy working at AUC because of the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with dynamically thinking students. The students inspire me, and I hope I inspire them, both in teaching and research.

Teaching at AUC is more Socratic, more spontaneous, more discussion-based compared to teaching at mainstream universities. There is also a variety of intensity and teaching methods that can be used in the small classroom.

LAS education has to do with helping students to become broadly oriented academics who take ownership of their own learning process. There is also an element of personal growth involved. The unique selling points of a university college have to do with the low student-teacher ratio, which allows for meaningful contact, also apart from strictly academic matters.

And, finally, a book that continues to inspire me in my teaching and research is Lühmann, Social Systems.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.